Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

I realized I haven't shared a recipe in awhile, even though I have been taking pictures of my food. Here is a recipe I I made a couple weeks ago, and was loosely based on a recipe I pinned. Please forgive me, it looks like I only took an after picture of this recipe, but it turned out so well, I wanted to share.

I have always been a little intimidated to make stuffed peppers, and I really have no idea why. I've stuffed zucchini, pasta and chicken breasts before, but never peppers. Me = dumb. This was easy, healthy, yummy and idiot proof. :)
Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
Source

3-4 bell peppers, cut in half ribs and seeds removed.
Olive Oil
1/2 lb ground turkey (or beef or chicken or whatever)
1/2 onion chopped (I prefer sweet onions)
taco seasoning
1 can black beans-rinsed
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup frozen corn
1 16 oz jar of salsa (I used Mrs. Renfro's  mango habanero salsa)- the sweetness was really yummy in the recipe so I would get some sort of mango or peach or pineapple salsa
Source

cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado for topping

1. Lightly coat the pepper halves with olive oil, and put in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
2. Cook the ground meat and onion together. Add the taco seasoning according to directions.
3. After cooked, drain off any extra fat, and put it in a bowl.
4. Add the rinsed beans, the brown rice and the jar of salsa.
5. Mix in the frozen corn.
6. Add mixture to the pepper halves. If your peppers are like mine, you will have lots left. I froze my filling for another night. And put the peppers in a 9x11 pan.
***I got pretty smart and did all of this the night before and I kept them in the fridge until the dinner the next night.***
6. Top with shredded cheese and put the peppers in the 400 degree oven for another 20 minutes.

Take them out and serve with your favorite toppings (I had avocado and fat free sour cream. I really wished I had made some guacamole for them)
Hee, it kind of looks like a face
The mister and I both really liked these. You can change up the filling to fit your own tastes. These would also be really good vegetarian by upping the beans/rice and adding some cooked mushrooms. I know I will be making these again. I have no idea why it took so long for me to make stuffed peppers.

What's your favorite stuffing for peppers? Any great dinner recipes I should try out?

No comments: