Thursday, October 20, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Dijon Chicken

Recipe 7/16

It was bound to happen. This recipe isn't a flop, it's just nothing special and it has no business in my pink book. The Mister said I shouldn't even put it in the blog, but I feel like I have to. Because of my computer issues, I didn't have time to hunt around blogland for a delicious treat, so I turned to the usually solid Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. You know, the one everyone owns:

Also because of my computer issues, this post is going to be lacking pictures. I took them, but they aren't great, and neither is this recipe.

Chicken Dijon

3/4 cup herb flavored rice (Seriously, no clue why this is listed. It is no where in the directions.)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
lemon pepper seasoning
onion powder
2 T butter
about a cup of milk or cream
2 teaspoon flour
1 T Dijon mustard

1. Cook the rice mix. (This is the only time it is mentioned in the recipe.)
2. Season chicken with lemon-pepper and onion powder. Cook in a skillet, when it is done, take it out and put it on a serving plate under foil.
3. Measure the pan drippings, and add milk or cream until it equals 2/3 cup. (I really didn't have any drippings so it just took 2/3 cup milk)
4. Stir flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth (I believe they call this a roux) add to the skillet. Add mustard. Stir and cook until it starts to bubble and thicken.  Add chicken back to the pan until you are ready to serve.

How was it?
Eh. If you didn't catch it above, the Mister and I were both unimpressed. Although, it wasn't "throw it out and eat a PB&J" bad, it was just lacking something. If I were to do this again, I would add more mustard for a bigger kick.

What do you do when you make an "eh" meal?

No comments: