Monday, October 17, 2011

RIP Dell

This weekend my Dell Inspiron Laptop died. I was just doing a little Pinterest snooping, when BLAMO! Critical Hard Drive Error! BLAMO! Hard Drive Cluster Failure! And 14 other things happened. The Mister was able to save some of my pictures and the document Excel document that had all of our friends and families addresses from the wedding. We are hoping that someone might be able to recover the rest of the documents and pictures from it some day, although I don't have much hope for that.


I will admit that one of my first thoughts was "what about my blog?" And more than one friend asked me what would happen to this blog while I wait for my new computer. My friend, and former running buddy, K offered her old Inspiron to me until the replacement comes. Thank you K! She does read this blog pretty regularly, so I think she just wanted the posts to keep coming. :)

The Mister has been telling me to back up all my important things for the last couple months or so. We knew that my laptop was on borrowed time- I had seen the blue screen of death more times then I can count and sometimes it would just freeze and shut down. But, I didn't listen to him. I have to say that he was right. I am pretty bummed about the things that I lost, but I do feel fortunate that I graduated grad school in June, so there wasn't anything that I have to turn in or anything. Although, I would like some of those papers back.

There is one more thing that makes me a little sad about losing that laptop. You see, the Mister and I met online. Not on Match or eHarmony, no- we met on Myspace. Of course, this was when people were still on Myspace. Back then, you could "browse" users, narrowing people down by sex, age range, location, relationship status etc. I will admit that I had done that a few times to see what hunks were out there. Then one day in the end of January I got an email from this person (who, BTW, I had seen his profile before) with this quote, "any person who has not one but two Pauly Shore movies listed deserves a friend request." We emailed back and forth for about a month before we met in person. The rest, as they say, is history :)

Because of that, it's a little hard for me to say goodbye to my Dell Inspiron. I know I don't have a choice, but I guess I am just sentimental. The Mister says we are not keeping junk, and when he gets a new laptop, he will get rid of his as well. Without a second thought.

Am I the only one who gets sentimental about objects?

No comments: