Friday, October 14, 2011

Candy Corn Craft

Today, and yesterday afternoon, are furlough days for me. Furlough days= Craft days for me.  I really do like furlough days, not because I'm not at work, but because it's like someone gave me extra time. The Mister isn't home, and I get to spend it doing exactly what I want. A lot of times, that is crafting.

On one if my marathon completely normal amount of time sessions on Pinterest, I came across this:
Source
By the way, I still am planning on making these next month
Clearly, these are not a Halloween craft, but it got me thinking about those Styrofoam cones that they used. Then it came to me- Candy Corn!

Here are my supplies:
3 Styrofoam cones- $2.50 ea
1/4 yard each: white, yellow, orange fabric- about $3.00
1/2 yard candy corn fabric- $1.75
Halloween spider web- $1.00
display tray- $7.00

Total- $19.75

I will be using the tray again, so it is hard for me to include it in the total, but I did buy it for the project so I am adding it in.

Also, you will see Mod Podge in the picture. That was stupid. I used it for one, and realized hot glue would be much easier, and cleaner to use. BUT if Mod Podge is your adhesive of choice, go ahead and use it.

Start by wrapping the white fabric around the top of the cone. I did this differently for each one, and they all ended up about the same. Do whatever is easiest for you.
Next you are going to use the orange. Fold the top edge down and add a line of hot glue. Wrap this around the cone, leaving a couple inches of white showing. Hot glue the other edges down.

Do the same thing with the yellow fabric. I folded the fabric around the bottom of the cone and hot glued that down as well.

The most frustrating part of this whole project for me, is that when you wrap something around a cone, it doesn't wrap straight across. I know there is a way to do it, by cutting or something, but I could not for the life of me figure it out.

I placed my three candy cones in the metal tray I bought at this trip to Goodwill, that I lined with the cute candy corn fabric. Then I wrapped some of the fake spider web around all three to finish it off.
What do you do with extra time?

No comments: