Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I have tried to come up with a clever title for 10 minutes now. I give up.

Take a look around? Like what you see??? This little makeover was my Small Business Saturday/Cyber Monday gift to myself. I really liked the design from Kelly Avenue's Design, but after seeing so many other bloggers getting a face lift, I decided I wanted one too. I wanted something fun but still kind of light and airy. (I don't know if that makes sense to you, but look around, I found it) After spending a ton of time on etsy looking at Blogger templates, I some how stumbled on GreyLovesDesign. After a few emails back and forth, I am so happy with it!

Here's something I am not so happy about. I cleaned out our fridge. Again. I feel like I do this once a month or so. And every time I get so mad at how much food we waste. I admit, I go a little crazy in the produce department, and then a lot of the times we don't eat it all. Grr. And then  I had to throw out a package of chicken breasts that we didn't eat, and I didn't freeze. That was $7 literally thrown into the trash. The Mister and I are super fortunate that we don't really worry about money. We pay our bills each month, put away a chunk in savings and have money left over for some fun. We are not rich by any means, but that doesn't mean that I like throwing our money away.

Things are usually better when I meal plan. Since I made my grocery list, I have been doing much better at sticking to the list and planning ahead. But there are nights when I have no energy to cook anything (on the list or not) so it's either PB&J or I call up the Mister to pick up teriyaki. That's where we get into trouble with the ingredients that we already have purchased.

I know there has to be a better way, that doesn't involve me going to the grocery store several times a week. What do you do to keep from wasting food?


5 comments:

Jen said...

I do a meal plan for each week. I got grocery shopping on Monday mornings and get only what I need. I will check the fridge and cabinet to make sure I don't get something that I already have.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Love your new look!

I make a few recipes on Saturday or Sunday and we eat those for the week. I am careful to only buy produce I know we'll use or that will keep.

Angi said...

I love your new design!!! The colors are perfect! :)

Wasting food...honestly, we rarely waste food just because my husband loves to eat leftovers. Haha.

Rachel said...

I don't like going to the grocery store often, so we usually go about every week and a half or so. I always plan my meals so that, for the first several days after we jus went to the grocery store, I'll make meals that have to involve all the fresh ingredients or the vegetables that spoil quickly. (i.e. bok choy, tomatoes, avocados). Later on in the week, once those are used up, I start using the produce that spoils less quickly (i.e. squash and potatoes). And when it's getting close to time to go shopping again I start using the frozen brocolli. And I always freeze my meat. It's so expensive, we don't eat meat every day, and I just don't want to take any chance with food safety so I throw it in the freezer unless I know we are eating it that day.
This doesn't mean food is never wasted, but it helps a lot!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sometimes the blog title is as hard to come up with as the blog content itself! Great blog Casey