Thursday, October 6, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Thanksgiving in October!

This week we have a bonus posting- 2 new recipes in one! A few weeks ago, the local grocery store had whole turkey breasts for a super good deal, so I picked up a couple and put them in the freezer. It has finally started to feel like fall, so I decided to bust one of those babies out.

One problem. I have no idea how to cook one of those things. So, I turned to my favorite crockpot blog and found a turkey breast recipe. This is her recipe, to the letter. I didn't change a thing.

Crockpot Turkey Breast
1 Frozen Turkey Brest (thawed)
2 cups white wine
1 onion
1 stick of butter
Salt/Pepper

1. After thawing the turkey, remove it from the package and pat it dry with paper towels. Season it with salt and pepper. Put the turkey in a crockpot, breast down.
2. Coarsely chop the onion. Put it around the turkey and in the breast cavity. Put the butter on top.
3. Cover with a lid. Cook on low for 7-9 hours, or high for 4-6. It is done when a meat thermometer reaches 170 ° in the thickest part.

Bonus recipe!!

What is turkey without the side dishes? I first found a similar recipe about 2 years ago when I was looking for a dish to bring to Thanksgiving with the Mister's extended family. I didn't end up bringing this one. I'm pretty sure we brought garlic bread. (Like store bought garlic bread) Last year I made cake balls. I decided to use this week's new recipe as a way to test drive a Thanksgiving side dish.

Cran-Blueberry Sauce

12 ounce package of fresh cranberries, washed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of allspice
2 cups blueberries

In a medium saucepan, mix cranberries, sugar and water. Bring it up to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. The berries will start to pop and make all kinds of fun sounds as they cook. 
Doesn't this just look like the holidays??
Add the seasoning. As you stir the berries mash some of them with the back of a wooden spoon.

Add the blueberries. Remove from heat. The sauce will thicken as it cools. This can be served cold or hot.

We ate our turkey and cranberry sauce with mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted Brussels sprouts and yummy crescent rolls.

So, how was it?
The Mister and I both really liked it. The turkey had a lot of good flavor and the blueberries in the cranberry sauce added yummy bursts of sweetness to the tart sauce. I am really excited to make these  with the leftovers. Next time I make the sauce, I want to add some orange zest or use OJ for some/all of the water. I think I will be making this dish to take to Thanksgiving this year.

No comments: