Thursday, December 13, 2012

Eggnog Coffee Cake

Last December I posted 6 times. Right now it looks like I am heading for that number. I want to share a recipe that I posted in late December, because it is awesome. And you will thank me. I think I will be making this for Christmas morning again this year. It was fantastic. The best part? You make it ahead of time and then just bake it in the morning for 40 minutes.

Overnight Eggnog Streusel Coffeecake

Overnight Eggnog Streusel Coffee Cake
Betty Crocker. She Rocks
Streusel Topping 
1/3 cup sugar
1 T flour
1T softened butter
1/2 t nutmeg

Coffee Cake
1 cup  sugar
1/2 cup softened butter 
1 cup egg nog
8 ounces sour cream (1 small container)
1 t vanilla extract (Betty asked for rum extract, I had vanilla)
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Eggnog Glaze 
1/2 cup powdered sugar 
2ish T eggnog 

Mix the streussel topping in a small bowl and set it aside.

With an electric mixer beat1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter, or mix with spoon and get your work out in. Beat in 1 cup eggnog, the sour cream, vanilla and eggs until blended. Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Spread in  a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle Streussel Topping over batter. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. 

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. (If you don't want to keep it in the fridge, just reduce bake time to 30-35 minutes) Let it cool and drizzle the egg nog glaze over the top.

My 13 year old nephew called this "incredible." Mine wasn't as pretty as Betty's but it tasted great. 

What are your holiday must haves??

3 comments:

Angi said...

This looks delicious!! I love love love coffee cake on Christmas morning - it's what my mom ALWAYS made!

Jen said...

Oh yum!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Thanks for posting this.

Amber said...

Oh my yum. I just read the title and started drooling.

Definitely adding to my must make list!!!