Thursday, November 17, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Vegan Spring Rolls and Peanut Sauce

Most of the vegan food I have been eating this week has been recipes from the Internet. Today's recipe is a little different. The sauce is a recipe that my friend's sister Christine sent me. Egg Spring rolls seemed like a yummy thing to dip in the sauce. I had never made egg spring rolls before, so I looked at a couple of recipes on the Internet and came up with this.

Vegan Spring Rolls and Peanut Sauce
There is a bunch of stuff in this pic that I didn't end up using:
avocado and red bell pepper. I also forgot the sugar and the oil
for the picture. Oops.
For the Sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 clove garlic minced
1 t sugar
1/2 lime juiced ( I had a small lemon)
1/2 t hot chili oil
2 t soy sauce
2 T warm water
cilantro (I forgot to use it)

Egg rolls
package of coleslaw mix
some tofu
egg roll wrappers- they are also called rice paper wrappers
garlic, soy sauce, canola oil



To make the sauce, whisk everything together. Taste it. Add more of what you want. Done. Simple and yummy.

To make the egg rolls, first I cut up the tofu into small pieces. This is the second time I have ever made tofu and I have no idea what I am doing with it. Tofu is weird. I then sauteed it in about a tablespoon of oil with some garlic and soy sauce.

After I was done mixing it around the pan mindlessly it was cooked through, I added the package of coleslaw mix and cooked it until the veggies started to get soft. I also thought about putting the red pepper in the mix, but I was too lazy to pull a knife out I decided not to.


Lay the wrapper down in a diamond. Then start to fill the rice paper wrappers with the veggie/tofu mixture. Fold in the sides and then roll the wrapper up. If I wasn't eating vegan I would have used an egg wash to seal the seam. So I mixed up some cornstarch and water to keep them closed. Repeat until out of stuff. I made 12 rolls.

Pile of egg spring rolls


I pan fried the rolls in a small amount of canola oil.
Pile of cooked egg spring rolls
Serve with the peanut sauce.
How was it?
I really liked these. I will be making these again for sure. They are cheaper and healthier than the deep fried egg rolls from the Chinese places. I may use bay shrimp or a small amount of ground chicken instead of the tofu. The sauce was pretty good. I have made a really yummy peanut sauce before, and I really like that recipe.

Do you have any recipes that you make instead of take out?

No comments: