Thursday, January 2, 2014

A mix of emotions

Thank you all for the congratulations and the condolences. This should be a really exciting time for us, and it is, but it is still overshadowed by the loss of Craig's mom. Her services were just a couple days before Christmas, and it was one of the first times for us to see his extended family since they found out about the baby. It was a weird mix of "congrats" and "sorry for your loss." It was standing room only in the church for her funeral mass, and the smaller rosary the night before also filled the funeral home to capacity. All of this made for a very low key holiday for us. Craig went back to work this week, and I go back on Monday.

Diana (Craig's mom) was so excited about becoming a Grandma. We had told her the same weekend that we found out (back in October) by giving her a little onesie that said Grandma's Little Peanut. When she opened it she started crying and screaming "I'm going to be a Grandma!" Followed by, "I have to call Eva!" (One of her sisters). Honestly, I am surprised that y'all couldn't hear her. As much as I wanted to tell her to wait to tell people, I didn't. And I am glad I didn't. It made her so happy. Like I said, she was so excited, and she made short work of letting her (giant) family know the good news. Before she passed away, we were able to show her our 12 week ultrasound pictures that showed a pretty clear facial profile and some cute little feet. During the last few weeks Diana kept saying that she had to wait until June before she could go. It really does break my heart that she will never meet her grandchild.

I am hoping to be back to more regular posting soon. I know I haven't been around much, but I do have a few posts started, and now that things are getting back to our new normal, I think I should be able to finish a few.

5 comments:

Becky Dougherty said...

Oh, Casey, my heart still aches for you both.

You are definitely missed in the blogging world, and I look forward to your posts!

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry she couldn't meet her grandchild. With as much joy as you and Craig are experiencing the next few months will, I'm sure, be bittersweet.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Micah said...

How heartbreaking, Casey. I don't know where your faith lies, but here's what I think --- yes, she's in Heaven now, but that doesn't mean she won't meet her grandchild. In fact, I tend to think she's holding the baby now until it's time for the baby to come into this world.

Jen said...

:( My heart breaks for you and your husband!

Alison said...

I'm so sorry again for all that has been going on.