Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Randoms

*Here is a life changer.

Frozen chopped onions. Some people may think it is silly. Others may think it is a waste of money. Yes, buying an onion and chopping it myself would be cheaper, but 91 cents isn't going to bankrupt us. And this way I don't cry. And the house doesn't stink like onions.  And none of it goes to waste. I've never eaten them raw, but if I have used them in taco meat, chili and stuffed peppers and I couldn't tell a difference.

*Meanwhile in the kitchen:
Do you use a potato masher to cook ground meat? I got the idea from Rachael Ray and it works great to break it up into little crumblies.

*I started the Couch to 5K program again after the first of the year with a friend of mine. I did it a few years ago and it was awesome. I even went on to run a marathon and a couple of halves. It's been awhile since I ran, and I am definitely out of running shape. We just finished week 2 and I am feeling pretty good about it. I've also been going to Zumba pretty regularly.

*Running outside in January sucks. Its cold. And sometime it snows and is icy. Yuck.

*This woman in New York posed as one of the Sandy Hook victim's aunt to raise money for the family. It was a scam. When Anderson Cooper asked her about it, she said she was framed by an enemy she has in the crafting community. Enemy in the crafting community. Yup, those people who craft, they are some evil geniuses.

* And you are welcome:
Portraits of people being blown by a leaf blower! Just about peed my pants!
What's going on with you lately??





10 comments:

Jen said...

I LOVE using frozen onions, it's so much easier. I usually keep a bag or 2 in the freezer.

Kristin said...

I actually love chopping onions. :)

I got the whole way to week 1 on the C25K last year. And I think I only made it to week 1, day 3. lol.

Angi said...

If we actually ate onions I'd totally buy pre-chopped (Isaiah won't touch them and I can't say I love them).

The crafting community is sneaky like that, you know!! Ruthless!

Rachel said...

I've always seen those frozen onions, but I've never bought them. I think it would be a great idea....but my current strategy is to just make the husband chop the onions. They don't seem to affect him--or else he's to manly to let it show.

Alison said...

Hahaha, that "it's so cold a gangster pulled up his pants" is just too funny. I never understood why that was "cool".

Nick and I LOVE our onions - sounds so gross to say. Maybe we'll try frozen, but we do like to keep a fresh one around if we ever have veggie burgers/regular burgers.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I'm psyched about the potato masher tip. I'm doing that when I brown meat and sausage for this weekend's chili.

I LOVE frozen chopped onions, especially when I need a lot of them. They are on my shopping list as we speak.

Jane said...

I've been eyeing a bag of prechopped onion. I think you've convinced me yo go for it. I put onion in everything! And, what an awesome idea to use the potato masher! Genius!

Jenny said...

Did you notice that chopping onions was in our vows? Yeah, not a fan.

Becky Dougherty said...

There is something to be said for onions that have already been chopped. Sometimes, I don't get the chopped so the pieces are as small as I want!

I don't even own a masher....lol

Good luck with your Couch to 5K. I tried it, and I hated it. I was not born to be a runner. I love Zumba, though!

Michelle said...

I seriously HOARD frozen chopped onions. I never buy an actual onion. Ever.

The crafting community is vicious.