Thursday, December 29, 2011

Egg Nog Coffee Cake

Hey all! (sheepish wave)

It's been awhile, but the end of school, our Vegas trip and the holidays took all my time and sucked it up into a black hole. I have a ton of posts I need to write, including my final 30 before 30 update because yup the big 3-0 happened.

I wanted to share a recipe with you, in case you have a New Year's brunch or (like us) still have another Christmas gathering to go to. When I made this, I completely forgot to take pictures, but I managed to get one picture of the last piece. My 13 year old nephew called it incredible. This is a Betty Crocker recipe, and Betty did not disappoint! The best part is that you can make it the night before and have just pop it in the oven in the morning!

Overnight Eggnog Streusel Coffeecake

Streusel Topping
1/3 cup sugar
1 T flour
1T softened butter
1/2 t nutmeg

Coffee Cake
1 cup  sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup egg nog
8 ounces sour cream (1 small container)
1 t vanilla extract (Betty asked for rum extract, I had vanilla)
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Eggnog Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2ish T eggnog

Mix the streussel topping in a small bowl and set it aside.

With an electric mixer beat1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter, or mix with spoon and get your work out in. Beat in 1 cup eggnog, the sour cream, vanilla and eggs until blended. Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Spread in  a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle Streusel Topping over batter. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.


Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. (If you don't want to keep it in the fridge, just reduce bake time to 30-35 minutes) Let it cool and drizzle the egg nog glaze over the top.

Mine looks nothing like Betty's pictures. But it was delish!!!

Did you try out any new holiday foods this year?

1 comment:

Brandy @ Homesweethere said...

Looks Delish!! And Happy 30th Birthday to you. I hope that and your Christmas were both wonderful!