Monday, September 26, 2011

Shellburg Falls

On Saturday the Mister and I realized it would probably be the last nice weekend for awhile so we decided to get outside. When we first started dating, we would go hiking once or twice a month. However, we have not been hiking all that much and the finger gets pointed directly at me. I don't really know why I haven't wanted to get out and hike, but I haven't. Anywho, Saturday we loaded up Gus and headed over to Shellburg Falls.

According to our hiking book, Shellburg Falls is near Silver Falls State Park, but has fewer people, no parking fee and smaller falls. The Mister and I have never been there, and the same hiking book labeled the hike "Easy" so I was in.
The hike starts out with about 1.5 miles on a gravel road through private property. There were several cattle guards and at first we were nervous about Gus walking over them (the Mister even carried him over one) but Gus seemed okay with it. Finally we reached a sign that pointed us up a couple stairs and up a dirt path to the falls. The falls were pretty light, but that is to be expected this late in the summer. When we got there we took a trail to the pool at the bottom of the falls, and we took Gus off leash to enjoy the water. I'll let pictures tell the rest of the story.





This weekend adventure is Gus approved.
The hike out was also somewhat eventful. Remember the cattle guards?
Oh yes, that is a cow in the middle of the way out. Gus was not sure about these giant creatures, and sort of hid behind the mister as we walked quickly past.

We ended our day with a BBQ at my BFF's house. Look at her cute little daughter!
Such a fun way to spend the day!


No comments: