Monday, September 19, 2011

#12 Clean Out The Spare Room

It's about to get real up in here folks. Our house has three bedrooms. The master (obviously), a room we use as an "office" (but might as well be called DVD storage) and a third room. Before the wedding (15 months ago) this room was nicknamed "the wedding room," as it held all of the stuff and projects for the wedding. Well, it hasn't gotten any better. Now it just holds a bunch of junk, leftover Christmas decorations that didn't make it out to the garage (it's cold in January) PLUS all the left overs from the wedding. Want proof?

















The Mister will be so mad that these pictures are out here for all to see, but I said I was keeping it real. In my dream world, I would transform it into one of these lovelies:
I love the little bins and the shelves as well as the memory board. And the wall color is just perfect for a spare room.
How amazing is this? It looks like a scrapbooking store! Look at the drawers under the desk too. Swoon. The Mister's grandma has a room that looks like this at her house. No joke, they have peg boards up on the wall. It truly does look like Scrap Happens. In reality, I like to do my crafts in the living room. It's not the best set up, but I can catch up on my shows while I am getting creative.

So maybe I make my extra room look more like this:
How welcoming is this guest bedroom? Of course I would always have a tea set ready :)

When it comes down to it, I have a long ways to go before I get to any of these "afters." Right now the room looks like this:














Boring? Yes. A catch all? Yes. A thousand times better than it was before? Yessir. Yes, there is still some stuff to do, but I don't have an anxiety attack when I open the door to iron or to get a dress out of the closet in there.  

Stuff left to do? That old TV can go to Good will and there is a box of random video games and computer parts (see the printer?) There is also a box of my Great-Grandma's China that is all wrapped in bubble wrap (see it under the ironing board?), that I need to display. Right now we don't have a hutch, so that is the safest place for it. There is also some wedding cards that I have kept, because I want to do something with them, but I just can't figure out what. The Mister said I just put everything under the bed. That is not true. There are a couple of tubbies of craft stuff under there, but I think that is fine for storage for now (until I get my dream room anyway).

As much as I don't want to admit it to my mom, she was right. It didn't take that long to clean up. Once I got started, it only took about an hour and a half.

Any ideas for my wedding cards? What would you do with a spare room??

No comments: