Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pina Colada Cupcakes

It's just about mid-January, so most people have thrown their resolutions out the window. BUT if you are still trying to eat healthier, I have a delicious treat for you. If you are done with healthy eating, these are still a delicious treat. Let's all thank Pinterest for bringing this to my attention.

Pina Colada Cupcakes


For the cupcakes:
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple

For the Frosting:
1 block reduced fat cream cheese
1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup powdered sugar (I think it was about a cup...)


Dump the can of  pineapple (juice and all) into the cake mix.
Stir it until combined and fill your cupcake pan 1/2-2/3 of the way full.
Bake like you normally would (350 for 15ish minutes.)


This picture is awful. At least you know my blog is real, right?
Feel free to lick the bowl/spoon/beaters. There is no raw egg! Let's be real, I would have licked the spoon anyway. BUT my friend who was baking with me is 7 months pregnant, so she could also lick the spoon without fear that her unborn son will have a third eye or 17 toes or whatever raw eggs do to people and fetuses.

For the frosting, mix the coconut, cream cheese and drained pineapple together with powdered sugar. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup granulated sugar. We started with that, but it just tasted like cream cheese, so we pulled out the powdered sugar and added it until it tasted yummy.

When the cupcakes are cooled, frost and enjoy!


So, how was it?
I really liked these and so did the Mister (who doesn't like cake!) Kim also liked them lots. We were brainstorming different frosting options as we were eating them. We both think a mix of a vanilla pudding packet and Cool Whip with the coconut/pineapple would be yummy (that is a Skinny Girl trick!) The original pin said these were 154 calories, but with the change to the frosting I'm not really sure, but they are less than most cupcakes!

What have you been treating yourself with??

1 comment:

Kimberly Compton said...

Umm, secretly I would have probably liked the spoon even with raw eggs:/ Does that already make me a horrible mother? 28 years of licking the spoons I havent gotten sick, so what are the chances really!