Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day of Service

I think we all remember where we were 11 years ago.
I just want to take a moment to thank all of the heroes that help people everyday.
Soldiers. 
Firefighters. 
Police Officers.
Paramedics. 
These are the people who are out there risking their lives for someone that they most likely have never met. So thank you. Thank you for doing a job that is high stress, high risk, and sometimes comes with low respect. You are our heroes.

Today is now known as a day of service (along with MLK day), or a day to volunteer. I LOVE volunteerism and service. Look at what your community needs. Sign up for an email list or "like" the facebook page of a local volunteer service group. Try "Hands-On (your city/area name)" or ask your local United Way. You will get so many opportunities you won't know what to do with yourself.  Giving money, food and items is a wonderful thing, and is something that most of us can do, but giving your TIME is a whole other ball game.
All throughout high school I volunteered weekly at the local hospital. Since I graduated, I haven't been able to schedule something like that in. But I have been able to sign up to help at one day events like 5ks, trick or treating for canned food, and harvesting fruit. Don't get me wrong, organizations NEED your money, food and other items. And if that is all you are able to do, please continue to do it :)

I am so fortunate enough to work in a low income school. For the last 3 years, I have been able to give my students the opportunity to serve and volunteer for their community. What I have witnessed, is that these "underprivileged" youth have the biggest hearts and love to give. This Friday over 100 of our students will be going through disaster training and then making disaster kits that will be given out to low income seniors and disabled veterans. Next month we have another project planned. I work closely with Hands On Willamette to give my students these opportunities, and my leadership class even chooses what they want to focus on to serve.

So today, when you are thanking the heroes in your everyday life, try to see how you can be a superhero yourself- VOLUNTEER!

No comments: